Wednesday, February 9

Nowhere, table for 1...

Last night I was sick, so sadly enough you didn't see any stories here. I intend to fix that tonight with a little piece I like to call:

Nowhere, table for one...

Wood paneled cabinets… empty of the food I am looking for. The refrigerator holds the same fate as the cabinets, I’m afraid. Back to the cabinets and cupboards to see if I have missed anything. Hints of food past are there to taunt me. Smells of bacon long cooked, or a wrapper (who left that in there) to make me think there was something I had missed. I’m spiraling downward into my hunger; as I walk between the cabinets and the refrigerator, and back again. A mindless dance that I am quickly growing frustrated with.

I grab my car keys and go out to my car. I sit behind the wheel thinking about my next move. “Where should I go?”
“Somewhere different!”
“Yes, somewhere I’ve never eaten before!”
I fire up the poor old car and head east, and a little bit south. I can feel the excitement as I hit the main road. I’m going on an adventure and I am going to have lunch somewhere I have never eaten before. My hunger cooked brain thinks it’s logical if I’m “trying to eat somewhere new” to then go “somewhere I have never been before!” (As in a city)

I come to the rural areas beyond the city, and have no real idea where I am at. The first two places I pass because they aren’t different enough. The longer I go without food the odder the excuses become for why I can’t eat at that place: “Too dark, no bars, no windows, no parking, I don’t feel like Asian food, too expensive, no Mexican food either, that place looks too colorful and they probably don’t serve Pepsi there either.”

Three hours later I’m home again; standing in front of the refrigerator. 60 miles driven and time consumed and I still haven’t eaten anything. I settle for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and call it good. Wishing I had settled on that first place I passed up. “I bet they had Pepsi.” I mutter to myself.

~B.

2 comments:

  1. Is there a trend in these stories that means to leave your readers scratching their heads, saying "Huh?" at the end?

    But I still liked it. But I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:09 PM

    What isn't to get. I got hungry, couldn't find anything, drove 60 miles, ate nothing, and came home. Nothing deeper here.

    ~B.

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***