Monday, January 30

This weekend past

This past weekend kept Lisa and I fairly busy. We hung around the house on Friday night and then on Saturday we took a trip on the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train. Riding the train was fun for me, however the food was only "ok" and I probably won't bother to make the trip again. (However it did make me want to take a trip accross a mountainous area via train.)

Sunday we invited a couple from our small group over for dinner and had lunch with Lisa's sister Katie. It was a pretty good weekend.

I'm reading a book for my film class that I think is absolutly horrible. "The Devil's Candy" is about this movie made off of a Tom Wolfe book. Honestly I don't know how anyone can think of Hollywood film as "art" in any way, it's a lot of money for a lot of nothing. Seems to be an industry full of horrible people as well. Oh well, I'll stay firmly on this side of the movie screen.

Oh yes, things are in the works for Lisa and I to spend a week down in California this summer at the end of June.

~B.

3 comments:

  1. I would respectfully disagree. I believe that there is definatly art reflected in film, though not always and not always in the way we like. Take, for instance, Alfred Hitchcock's films. I would argue there is quite a bit of art in his films, especially in is great films such as Vertigo, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Rear Window (just to name a few).

    I think what it comes down to is how you define art (good luck). There are many things that some people consider art that others don't, myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:26 AM

    I read that book when i took the film class, and i must say it was nice to see all the behind the scenes stuff! For me, the insight on the artistic process was awesome to have.

    And i agree with Ryan, good luck on defining what "art" is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:03 PM

    I didn't say there wasn't art involved in film. I said involved in Hollywood film. Which seems to me to be the big budget films where everyone is worried about unions, and the cost of things and how much money the film will make. If you change the ending to make more money I don't know if that is being true to an original artistic ideal. I would say that is selling out.

    ~B.

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***