Tuesday, September 26

I hit the "custom" button

Someone once said, "You're not really paranoid if they ARE out to get you." This is how I feel about software designers. Being a guy that thinks first about his hardware and how the software effects that I am always leery about the stuff I install on my computer. Thus the "express install" option most software has is simply not for me. 75% of the time I will even select the default settings, but I need to know where it's being installed and what is being installed.

I saw a lot of people when I worked at SPU that would just install stuff all over their computer and have no idea what they installed or where it was on their hard-drive. Of course the peer-file sharing programs they had installed had installed a bunch of spy-ware and other nasty little programs to track what they were doing. They had no clue.

A computer, like a table saw or a kitchen knife, is a tool to get things done. Just because it doesn't have a sharp edge that cuts things doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be taken care of. I completely understand that some people aren't as skilled as say a master carpenter at woodworking, but if you use the table-saw you're going to have to know how to use it safely and how to take care of it. If you want to play in my workshed, you're going to have to know the basics of how to use the tools. If you don't know, ask. I don't bite.

~B.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. For example, when installing office I always do custom to make sure that the office helper buddy thing is not installed.

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***