Monday, December 22

Come all ye Faithful!

This morning at OC's chapel we sang Christmas songs and I noticed that "O Come all Ye Faithful" was originally a Latin hymn. It perked my interest so I went out and found the lyrics and are posting them here. I always think it's interesting to know the history of a song. (hit link for history of O Come all ye Faithful)

Adeste Fideles



Adeste Fideles
Laeti triumphantes
Venite, venite in Bethlehem
Natum videte
Regem angelorum
Venite adoremus, Venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus, Dominum

Cantet nunc io
Chorus angelorum
Cantet nunc aula caelestium
Gloria, gloria
In excelsis Deo
Venite adoremus, Venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus, Dominum

Ergo qui natus
Die hodierna
Jesu, tibi sit gloria
Patris aeterni
Verbum caro factus
Venite adoremus, Venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus, Dominum

~B.

4 comments:

  1. Cool! I think Nat King Cole sings the latin version in his Christmas album (I should say, I think its Nat King Cole, but I know someone my mom has a CD of does). : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:48 PM

    I still remember most of the Latin lyrics from the pre-Vatican II days as a Catholic schoolgirl. We always sang this song in Latin!
    Mare Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like the translation would be pretty close, although I couldn't pick a lot of the words of the last verse. It is fun to see how it was originally written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good password to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***