Tuesday, March 17

Craziness [Edited]

The other day I was thinking about the things that God has called me to do in my life that end up looking crazy to the person who isn't me. I was reminded of this as I have been following my friend and occasional employer, Erik and his wife, as they are in the Ukraine trying to adopt anywhere from 1 to 4(?) children. That comes across as crazy. My "crazy" was moving away from Seattle and my support group to work in a place I had never lived nor had any friends.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that even though God has called us to do things that non-christians and even Christians alike think sound crazy, it is the thing that God is asking US to do. He's not going to necessarily ask you or another person to do, or go through the exact same thing (IE: Adopting X number of children from the Ukraine or moving out to Colorado) but God will most likely ask you to do something at some point that seems like craziness to the rest of the world. Maybe even to your friends and family.

I've been sitting on the idea for this post a while and I was thinking about Erik this afternoon and thought I would put this down in an email.
"For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.""
- 1 Corinthians 1:21-26

Pursue the foolishness of God!

Update: Congrats to Erik and Natasha!

~B.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I just love you! I seriously believe that God is putting this Dane into our lives to put me into a world of unbelievers. Training a dog who is from a long line of agility dogs will force me to be around those I would never rub shoulders with. From what I can tell, these folks all worship their animals, not God. I believe He is sending me out to be light into this community. Do I feel ready for this? Absolutely not! I've actually tried to talk the Lord out of a puppy on several occasions (I like my quiet little sedate life!) However, unless He closes the door quite firmly in the next couple of months, we will be the "parents" of another tool of God--a giant Great Dane.

    Does this make any sense in the Christian community that I hang in? Nope! They think I'm nuts, for the most part. But I am amazed at the creativity of God--allowing me something I just love and, at the same time, giving me a ministry in the midst of it.

    I think the bottom line is we should not judge what God has called others to do. He wants us to support, not criticize, one another.

    So, amen and thank you for your posting. (Who knows, I may send you a suggestion that you post on this subject in the next coupla' weeks!) :)

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***