Saturday, May 23

Inventing Dinner

Today I burned in my new grill. I was amazed how easy to use it was, tomorrow we will cook our first meat on it, and on Monday I will tackle a long term cooking project: beef ribs, 3 hours of smoking and high temp cooking. I'm looking forward to it.

Tonight however I tried (again) something that I have always felt shouldn't be THAT hard, but always seems to be: Fried chicken. Let me put it this way: I give up. I think you A. have to be born in the south to pull this off, or B. talk with a twang, or C. have visited the south at some point in your life. I have D. None of the above. As such I can cook chicken in oil that would make a Medieval siege strategist happy, but I wouldn't call it "fried chicken". Though I follow recipes I can only come to conclude that real "Fried Chicken" is really something that comes from the heart, not from a set of instructions of rule book. As such this is most likely the last time I will try (as each time statistically brings me closer and closer to burning myself in some horrific way on hot oil) to make the meat that I have heard lauded so much. (And I have been told KFC doesn't even begin to count.)

(Post game breakdown says the oil was too hot, but I don't really have any way to control that overly easily so until I get an electric frier that I can set the temperature at and forget it, then my FC days are over.)

On top of that I also made Gouda and Chive mashed potatoes, which needed a little more salt (always fixable at the table) and tasted pretty good.

The real "winner" of the evening was a little invention I threw together and I think I will call it, "Fresh Garlic Corn". I can already hear the clicking on the "comment" button. "What is it?" You type, and "How do I make it?" Well folks, Lisa and I thought it was pretty wonderful, and so I choose to share it with you. (I have never seen nor heard of corn being done this way, so if I am ripping someone off, it's unintentional.)

Start with fresh corn. (We used 1 ear per person, but if you are bigger on corn then adjust as needed)Cut the kernels from the cob. (Place the freshly shucked corn in a bowl and, using a knife, slice downwards to cut the kernels away from the cob.)
Then mince 2 large cloves of garlic PER ear of corn. (If using smaller cloves adjust accordingly.) I would imagine that this might come to something like 1 tablespoon of minced garlic per ear of corn, possibly a little more. Adjust as you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Slice up 2 tablespoons of butter.
Toss everything in a skillet and and cook on medium/low heat (I had my stove-top set to 4). Cook until the garlic has reached a nice light golden color. (Mine sat for 15 minutes or so) Stirring every 5 minutes.
Serve - Eat.

You end up with a nice fresh tasting corn with a slight sweet/ spiciness of the garlic and a hint of pepper. Very good stuff. Give it a try!

Tomorrow is pork loin on the smoker/ grill!

~B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***