Saturday, August 1

A nice full Saturday

Lisa announced to me last weekend when I got home from Comic-Con that we were going to the Zoo on Saturday. So we did. (We have a membership) The nice thing about having a membership is that we don't need to go for a full day to feel like we got our money's worth. Just multiple times during the year and then you think if I had paid the 12 bucks each time...

Lisa got to pet the 1 year old Albino Wallaby. (We still ask ourselves "how cool would it be to have a Wallaby as a pet?") And we saw a Mountain Lion trying to devour a kid's stuffed rabbit through 1.5 inch glass. (It was probably tantamount to torturing the poor cat, but it was extremely funny.)

Our favorite "kitty" at the Zoo (the Lynx) wasn't out and about this morning (most likely because the turkeys (which live across the path from him) were at the bottom of the hill she the Lynx couldn't see/ hear them. (No motivation to be plastered against the wall of your cage if the turkeys aren't there.)

Then we headed home, got ourselves some lunch, teased the Parrot about being an "Exotic Pet" that we might sell to the Zoo, and then left to run errands. (I had a crack in one of my lenses in my glasses so I got that replaced and Lisa and I did a bit of shopping (I didn't own any pairs of shorts until today...))

After that we saw Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I was telling Lisa that we should avoid the theater at the mall because the quality of the theater was going to be bad. She asked me how I knew that if I had never been to that theater before. I told her the way I can tell how good a theater is without having to go inside of it is by how well they maintain their sign. It's totally true. Have you ever been in a movie theater where the sign outside was completely trashed and the theater inside was pristine, the floors not sticky and the quality of the film/ sound was excellent? I haven't. Depending on how messed up the sign outside is tells me what the inside will be like. Thus far I've been right.

After the movie we came home and grilled almost all of our dinner. I grilled corn and pork chops (we put a rub on them) and they both came out great. I also grilled some peaches with a little butter and brown sugar, like eating peach pie without the crust. (I know, I know... why would anyone want to do that?) Lisa was inside and she roasted broccoli and cauliflower. The stuff that was grilled was good, but I expected that. The thing that surprised me was the taste of the roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Amazingly good. If you think you don't like either of those veggies (and hey, if you do and haven't tried this method) you need to try roasting them. Amazingly good. Especially if you get them a little dark. The sugars in them caramelize and woah. Great stuff.

Oh yeah, and last night we hung out with some new friends from the group we've been going to at church. It's fun spending an evening with new people talking about all sorts of stuff.

Tomorrow is chore day!

~B.

2 comments:

  1. Oops, there's the answer to my wallabee question! I bet he's soft.

    I've heard roasted broccoli is amazing. Haven't done it yet, but will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 PM

    It was tasty! Even cold the next day (today) it was pretty impressive. Toss with a little olive oil, throw in a 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, and then turn on the broiler to finish it off.

    ~Ben

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***