Thursday, October 6

Superstitions

It's funny how much of my life and "thought time" I spend in battling superstitions. I wonder what it is about humanity that seems to have a problem with expecting something to have an effect on something else when they are in no way, shape, or form related.

I bring this up because Steve Jobs passed away the other day and it had to do with complications with his cancer. I spent last night trying to remind myself that Steve's story is not my story (obviously). But yes, I guess it's a reminder of mortality.

Other things I tend to be somewhat superstitious about are things like foods or smells that I smelled or ate once and had some effect on how sick or well I was feeling. Chemo, like a sports event, has many times you can do something and get a good result so you do it again and again without any kind of basis in reality for it being a cure. (like "lucky socks" or something)

I've seen this in an IT capacity as well. If I do x (touch the monitor a certain way, mount the server with gold pins, etc) then it has fewer errors. Maybe nothing as blatant as the gold pins, but I am sure I do some things simply because it worked once.

Think about it. What things do you believe that aren't based in truth? And how do you combat them?

--

~B.

Ben Morrell
Skype: OCBenMorrell

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen more superstitious people than group of highly educated and intelligent men sitting around a table of dice. People that deal with numbers and logic for a living are suddenly reduced to comments like "This one's cursed, hand me that green one" and "This is my night, I just can't roll a low number". I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***