Tuesday, November 16

Filling the creative hole

Tonight I attended, well I take that back, I worked an event in "Upper Gwinn" where Rev. Dr. Earl Palmer spoke on the relationship between C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Pretty much everything he said about Tolkien I had heard before from Mr. Humphrey Carpenter's book on him. Nothing new there. I ended up taking away from tonight a sense of wanting to create something great. Only this isn't a new feeling. This feeling comes from a very long time ago. I have wanted to create something epic ever since I realized what an epic was. Tolkien is the best and fills that hole fairly well. I also try to fill that hole with other people's creativity. Robin Hobb, George R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan, Steve Lawhead, Douglass Adams, Isaac Asimov, Neil Gaimen and Ray Bradbury, to name a few. However, this creativity inside me will not be satiated by other people's creativity. My own imagination grows everytime I consume a part of someone else's ideas and world's they have created. My desire is to create a world in which I can move characters about and make them do things. I want other people to get lost in my stories and want to contribute something of their own.

This is why I am taking Latin. I see Latin as a kind of "language driver" (to use a computer phrase) for our language. I feel like if I can understand Latin, and thus English better, I will be able to see through the mysteries of my language (english) and better convey what I want to say. I think Tolkien got to being beyond his language, and I want to get there too. Part of it as well is knowing that no matter what language you happen to be speaking that God transends it all. There is no language you or I can speak that He cannot understand. Which, of course, is what facinates me.

Now with this great swelling of creativity and feeding the flames of creative desire as I sit here and write, I must go off and do homework. We'll see how much that dampens the mood.

~B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***