Sunday, March 14

Vision and Circumstance

A friend of mine @TenderWarrior retweeted a quote this morning from an @SKennethNelson, who said, "Never let go of a vision. Do not focus on your circumstances. Focus on your vision. Focus on where you're going, not where you're at."

At first I thought to myself, "Hey, that's a good motivational quote!" And then the more I thought about it the more I felt like I was saying, "Good shot!" To an archer who had just missed the target completely. Then, I felt I had to write something.

Vision is great. It's what drives us. I have lots of "visions" some of the top three are (in no sort of order): Be free of cancer, do a bit of a "world tour" with OC and see different fields and see what we can do for them and help them use technology better, and have children.

Now, if I didn't focus on my circumstances, I would literally be dead.

If you don't know where you are at right now, that's called being LOST. If I want to get to Seattle I have to know where I am, and how to get from here to there. My "circumstances" right now would be Colorado Springs. How am I going to get out of COS? Drive, plane, walk, horse? And then once I am out of COS, and it is no longer my circumstance, well then something else becomes that. Ok, so I took the car, and now I am in Denver, how do I move from this circumstance closer to my vision of Seattle?

If I spent my whole time focusing on where I was going, instead of where I'm at, I'd miss all the steps it takes to get from here to there. Then once I have achieved my vision, then what? Visions aren't achieved overnight (unless your vision is to eat breakfast the next morning) they are the culmination of steps, current circumstances, to get from where you are TODAY, to where you want to be TOMORROW. Which means that someday, your vision is going to be your current circumstance. What happens then?

~B.

2 comments:

  1. Gary Brown6:09 AM

    Hmmm...never thought of having lamb via barbecue. Kind of a different note on this, but I'm guessing a lamb without spot or blemish would be really expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary Brown6:12 AM

    And what happens when your vision doesn't come true? When life is not what you expected. Thanks Ben, good post!

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***