Sunday, September 2

(Un)informed Faith

As I have been busy at doing nothing this past week I have had a lot of time to sit and think. Sometimes about worthwhile things, and other times about pointless things. One of the things that has been running through my mind the past few weeks (since August 13th at least) has been about where to draw the line between information and faith. (IE: Not enough information so I won't do X vs we're going to do X and see what happens, and hope God blesses it.) The question stemmed from our lease coming up as going to be due here in a month or two, but they require two months lead time to get out of the lease. So I have been comparing numbers, figuring data, looking at other rentals, other properties, etc etc. My questions has been, where is the line between information, and faith?

A friend of mine linked to this (secular) article in Fast Company that actually tackles the idea from a non-christian perspective: Too much data disables your decision making. In it the writer suggests that our quest for information makes us feel like there is always more we have to know. He argues that data is addictive. (IE: An insatiable dragon) I wouldn't disagree. How many pointless facts and figures do you have running around your head? (How many do I!? (Don't answer that)) The end point of the article asks where do you draw the line between questions that NEED to be asked (and answered) and those that are just extra. (side-quests if you will)

It might not go towards unlocking the spiritual aspect of my question, "Where do you draw the line between faith and information" but it helps get me a bit closer. Some questions don't need to be asked.

This morning I came across Matthew 6 in which Jesus is talking about the birds and grass, how they do what they do, but they don't worry about tomorrow or how or where they will get food or clothing. 34: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious of itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Alright, so worrying (fixating, plotting, overly planning) about tomorrow isn't what God wants me to do. God wants me to, (33) "... seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." Instead of seeking after information and data to help us answer our question (in this case where should we live?) we should be seeking God.

Another friend of mine linked to Oswald Chamber's devotional for yesterday: Destined to be Holy. Second sentence: "We are not destined to happiness, nor to health, but to holiness."  (I felt that one lodge in my heart...)

God hasn't called us to data-mine our lives and the internet for answers. God is calling us to be Holy, as HE is Holy. And by relying on that data we are not relying on God our father to provide for us what we need, nor am I respecting the goal He has for my life to make me Holy.

Where then is the line between information and faith? I think it comes down to this: Have I pursued God first? All the Googling on the planet won't get me the answer that God wants me to be holy... and ultimately that is what God wants from us.

Realistically do I know what is going to happen on Wednesday with the results from my scan? Factually, no, I don't know. Spiritually, I do know. I have confidence that no matter WHAT those scans might show the doctor that the outcome will be the same, God will be making me more holy. There is where I can put my faith, and there is where you can put yours as well.

~B.
[ Prayer request? | Help Us? ]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***