Sunday, September 27

From Upstairs

"I will give you the treasures of darkness and the hoards in secret places,
that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name."
-Isaiah 45:3 (ESV)

From the "I think God is trying to tell me something" department comes this little jewel: Isaiah 45:3. On Friday I was wandering the office checking on people as I will do from time to time (I find that people will suddenly remember problems they never bother to tell me about unless I am standing in front of their desk, which is why I wander sometimes.) and I dropped in on OC's pastor/ Chaplin/ all around great guy, and we chatted for a bit. Towards the end he stopped me and said his wife had reminded him of a verse that he thought I could use right about now. He brought up and read Isaiah 45:3. Not what you would call a common verse, or something that someone hands people in times of distress. But I liked it and it spoke to me. (More on that later)

Then that afternoon (OC is in the middle of their twice a year board meetings) the board called me in and prayed for me. And one of the board members wives prayed Isaiah 45:3 over me. (Well, she said the verse, she didn't reference it, but I knew where it was from from earlier that day.) Two times in one day someone references an obscure verse in Isaiah? Ok Lord, I'm listening.

This is a great verse for several reasons: 1. It mentions treasures of darkness. There are things hidden in darkness, in trials, and in pain that cannot be gotten without venturing down into those depths. God is saying that there is purpose to going there.

2. The second part of that verse gives me chills: "that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name." Wow. God telling me, "I know you, I can see you there in the darkness, and I am calling you out by your name." This isn't like, "Hey, you, is someone in there?" no. This is God saying, "Ben, I see you there in your troubles and pain, and there is something down there for you. But I can still see you. You are not lost to me and you will be rescued." (I of course do not know in what form that rescue will take, but God has not only my back, but my front and my sides as well.)

It's an exciting verse. And you know what? I hope you keep on reading, because as I find the treasures in the darkness, I intend to share them with you, right here. Hopefully I can share with you some hard earned wealth so you don't have to go so deep.

Lisa and I head out tomorrow afternoon for Denver to fly to Houston. We're there for a week, and then back to Colorado Springs. I will be bringing my laptop, and will update as we go, but several things you can pray for us:
  1. That the Doctor I am meeting with would be gentle/ kind.

  2. That we don't get too lost in Houston

  3. That they don't run too many redundant tests

  4. That Lisa and I could have a good time in replacement of the vacation we had to cancel.

  5. And that they find no cancer what-so-ever. (Hey, nothing says I can't ask...)

Thanks for the continued prayers and support! Remember to continue to hope extravagantly!

~B.

1 comment:

  1. Your name...Benjamin. Son of the Right Hand. I didn't know this when I named you, but since I've come to realize that references to the "Right Hand" of God in the Old Testament are references to Jesus. You are, indeed, "Son of the Right Hand." Michael..."Who is like God?" A statement to the power of God alone--the all-powerful God who holds our lives in His hands.

    "Of Benjamin he said, 'May the beloved of the Lord dwell in security by Him, who shields him all the day, and he dwells between His shoulders.'" (Deut. 33:12)

    I love the way you are learning to hear the Lord's voice speaking to you. He certainly does speak to those He has called by name. It reminds me of a verse the Lord gave me several months ago, "All of your sons will be taught of the Lord; and the well-being of your sons will be great." (Is. 54:13)

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***