Friday, September 26

Tripping over the Phone [5/5]

Today concludes the testimony series. Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this series. In case you missed it Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4 can be found at those links.

My interview is Monday afternoon with OC. I'd appreciate the prayers!

---

God was (and is) my rock in the storm. I also learned what it was like to be on the receiving end of people’s love and support when we needed it. Through meals, notes and people coming by to stay with me I learned about how God can take care of His people through His people. I now have a better idea of how to help people that have medical issues like I did. One of the many reasons why God gave me this issue was to experience what it was like to need other people more. I have a tendency towards doing things by myself and not looking to others for help. In this case Lisa and I eagerly sought others help and we learned to see God in almost every situation where people brought food or came by for a visit.

After about a month of recovery from surgery I started radiation therapy. The point of this was to kill little cancer cells that might have been missed in the surgery or not been completely killed by the chemo. I went into radiation two times a day for almost six weeks. Radiation started out just fine and it quickly wasted me of any extra energy I had. I don’t know if the radiation was successful, but the only lingering reminder I have of it are three tattoos. A dot on my left, a dot on my right and a dot in the middle of my abdomen they used to line up the radiation.

At the end of all this it’s not easy to look back to a time when I was so completely weak and sickly. That is something God had ordained for me to go through though. It’s not something I ever want to do again, but if God has that for me then I will earnestly try and seek His glory in my cancer story.

As of this moment I am in remission, and there is not a day that goes by that I’m not reminded by my scars of what I have been through and I thank God for being on this side of it all. He answered a lot of prayers to bring me through to where I am today.

Before my experience with cancer I think I would have thought about sort-term missions as an option for myself, but I don’t think I would have considered full time application to a missions organization. I had felt a calling to non-profit organizations before, but none that required me to move away from the Seattle area.

I am currently considered and seeking the job with OC in Colorado Springs because I really came to realize this past year that my life is not my own. Especially after surviving what I have. I am here but for the grace of God, which leads me to believe He has some more things He wants me to do on this earth. I am seeking this job because I want to use the skills that God has given me to further his kingdom and to help support those who have been called to use their skills (language and/or people skills) to further His kingdom as well.

That is my story thus far. If it involved a move to Colorado Springs, than I’ll be eager to see what God has for Lisa and I there. If our journey is to lead elsewhere then I eagerly look forward to seeing what God has for me here. There seems to be enough ways that Lisa and I can further His kingdom together weather that is here (Seattle) or there (Colorado Springs) or… somewhere else.

To be continued!

~B.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***