Sunday, July 12

A fair weekend

Saturday Lisa and I grabbed a few friends and headed to the Colorado Renaissance Fair(e). We'd been to a few small ones in the Seattle area, but nothing of this size and scale. (And cost)

Tangent: It's always been strange to me the Christian viewpoint on things like "Ren Fairs" and other things that would fall into the "fantasy" category. (Fantasy Novels, DnD, cards, dice, etc) It seems like these things get picked on because they are "easy" targets. Oh, it's easy to condemn fantasy content due to the typical use of "magic", but it seems to me that you have to draw the line somewhere. C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien's use magic in a lot of their famous books, and yet people can rarely tell you the difference between their "magic" and the "magic" in something that is so widely poo-poo'd like DnD or J.K. Rowling's work.

Magic aside, I am willing to bet far, far more people have sinned due to the "mainstream media" (movies, TV, etc) than the number of people who have stumbled and sinned from the use of "magic" in a fantasy setting. I guess what I am saying is that while every sin is, well, a sin, that there are much BIGGER and more effective things Christians can speak out against.

Sorry, I've encountered some raised eyebrows about some fantasy things I am interested in sometimes and I thought I would put down the overall thoughts of mine about the subject here. End Tangent.

The fair(e) was interesting! A very cool place to people watch and there were a lot of interesting vendors. I think the price of admission is/was a little steep (15 bucks), and I would probably be interested in going back again if the cost was less and I didn't feel like a "been there done that, don't want to shell out 15 bucks again."

Then we came home and BBQ'd a pizza with our friends. Lisa also made a strawberry rhubarb pie from some various parts we had from last weeks CSA. This is actually the first time I had had the pie and wow... it instantly made it into my top 5 types of pie. (Pecan, Apple, Chocolate, Cherry, and Strawberry-Rhubarb (In case you were interested))

Then today we hung around the house a bit and got some stuff done. A new week awaits us AND our 4th wedding anniversary is coming up!

~B.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 AM

    I love strawberry-rhubarb pie. One of my friend's grandmothers growing up would make it out of rhubarb they had growing in their own yard, it was amazing!

    Now to convince Ruth in to trying to make one...

    -Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about fresh peach with really good peaches?

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***