Sunday, November 6

Social Experiments

I've found myself wondering; with the information that people give out on such places as MySpace.com and FaceBook.com what you could do to someone who you walk past almost every day between classes. For instance from Facebook alone they can enter their classroom information, you can see who their friends are, their interests, websites they might have, etc (including where they live and phone numbers). There is enough information there to thoughly pretend like you know someone. I almost think it should be done to some people so they realize just who has access to their information. I however am not gutsy enough to do that. (As entertaining and educational as it would be.)

Just something for thought, be careful what you put on the net.

~B.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Set the wayback machine for 5 years ago-

    Wasn't it at your parents house where we did this experiment with a girl from king's players and some chat rooms? I believe Ryan Palmer was in on this deal. :) The girl will remain nameless (to protect her identity).

    Good times...good laughs...and a good lesson learned. :)

    Dan McCurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:47 PM

    Ummm, more than 5 my friend. Try 6 or 7. (I know, it's been a while.) And I don't know if Nicole would mind being an object lesson. :)

    Awfully funny though...

    ~B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting thing about sites like facebook and myspace is that they give the illusion of friendship. You feel like you know somebody because you know all these facts, but do you really? I suppose if knowing somebody = knowing facts about them, but I'm not sure that's really the case.

    Of course then there are people who know each other in real life and also facebook one another. A little weird, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet I think we do the same thing in real life too: there are plenty of people we "relate" with in our lives that we know little more than facts about. We might call these people aquaintances or collegues or classmates, but really it's the same thing: people we know but aren't truely friends with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:17 AM

    So instead of calling these people "friends" on facebook, we should call them "People you don't really know."

    ~B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactally!! Why didn't anyone else think of it? Ben you're a genious. Pattent your idea and then sell it to facebook. You'll be a millionare!

    : P

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***