Monday, March 19

My Favorite thing about God

This morning Mark 2:18-22 landed on my lap and I spent some time looking it over and thinking about it. The part where Jesus says:
"No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins." (Mark 2:21-22)
This really hit me upside the head, so I decided to dig into it a bit. I went over to Blue Letter Bible, and found a commentary from Chuck Smith (Mark 2-3 C2000 Series) where he says:
"The interesting thing about God is His refusal to be patterned. "Well, God did it this way." Well, maybe He did the last time, but He wants to do it a different way this time. God does not confine Himself to patterns, and man always makes the mistake when he tries to pattern God, tries to make the groove for God to flow in. And God is always overflowing our banks, and always coming up with some new way of working in the lives of people. And so, God keep us open and flexible and ready to move as the Spirit of God moves in different ways."
As someone who could very easily have been "categorized" as headed for an "early" death years ago when I was diagnosed with a disease that few people survive I really, really appreciate that God is always looking for new ways to get our attention and to bring people closer to Himself. And that He defies patterns. Patterns would have me dead right now.

This also kind of goes along with the route I take when it comes to tackling systems I work with when I do IT, especially at a place like OC. Just because we have done it a certain way doesn't mean than with changes that it means we have to work that way now does it?

God doesn't change, but God doesn't always work the same way. That is my favorite thing about God. He wants the best for me, but He's not going to send me down the same path that someone else took to get there.


~B.
[ Prayer request? | Help Us? ]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***