Thursday, May 17

Afflicted but not crushed!

From Lisa, before she heads back to the hospital;

I've been printing all your emails and comments, and bringing them to Ben in his hospital room. It was great to see him smile last night as he read through the stack of papers! This morning I prayed for him that he would not be discouraged by the side effects of the chemo he's beginning to experience-- that the physical decay wouldn't bring him despair. For one reason, because technically the doctors are "making him feel bad to make him better" (as a hospital nurse said), and because our hope is not found in physical things!

"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;
{we are} afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."
2 Corinthians 4:7-10

We've had some great visitors! My good friend Raeleen, an expert in healthy snacks, got Ben a whole bag full of Whole foods stuff, Andy set up the DVD player, all the parents of course have been very encouraging, and Ryan was subjected to Invader Zim, and I heard that there were even more people there today...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Hey ben,

    I just wanted to thank you so much for praying for the Taylors and the funeral they had today. It was a beautiful ceremony on a cloudy seattle-y type day. The Lord was praised and many tears were had by all. I was the keeper of the "kleenex" trash bag.

    I am continuing to pray for you and Lisa. I am so thankful you have many friends who can help you on a daily basis. Although I do feel bad for Ryan being subjected to so much anime. :) Maybe you should watch the "Decalogue" to balance that out.

    God bless and Much Love!

    Dan and Jane McCurley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben,

    Wish I could come visit you too... But it's probably just as well that I can't, since an extended pun war might not be too healthy for either of us.

    Still praying for you!
    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Good Morning Ben,

    As you are finishing out your week of Chemo, I just wanted to remind you that I am on the list of people praying and supporting you.

    I'm not really great at the "quote a verse" thing, but I find comfort in hymms. Here's a favorite of mine:

    "When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul."

    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben & Lisa,

    Ever since the beginning of this heartbreaking time, you have both been in our prayers every day. We pray that you will continue in the hope that God heals and keep up that wonderful, inspirational outlook. We love you so much and wish we could be there with you at this time.

    Riva

    ReplyDelete

I am using DISQUIS for my comments these days. If you can see this and don't see the DISQUIS comments it probably means you are blocking cookies or are running an ad blocker that is blocking my comment stream. ***Any comments left here (on Google's comment system) will be deleted.***